Thursday, October 11, 2012

Featuring Oklahoma Today

I enjoy a great short story as much as a camel in the desert enjoys a drink of water. I like short stories for the main reason that I lose patience with a book or longer stories. A feature story is just that, a short story that spotlights a non newsworthy event or happening.

The feature story that I will examine is, "Oklahoma Weird & Wonderful," published by Oklahoma Today. I discovered a list of  criteria online that combine the qualifications of a feature story and the qualities that good feature stories have.

For starters, it needs to be short and readable in one sitting. Despite the article being in three pieces, I read the full article in less than 15 minutes. Second, a feature story does not fall under the category of a news story and can be categorized as a human interest. This story discusses unique places to visit throughout Oklahoma, so it does not classify as a news story.

Lastly, the story needs to be well written, which the writer not only kept my interest, but also had me wanting to know more about the quirky adventures one can have in Oklahoma. 

This feature story had it all; the story was short and easy to read, but still kept my attention and told me about some great adventure opportunities that would normally have been overlooked in the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment